The Very Hungry Caterpillar Party

Very Hungry caterpillar Party Invite




Since it was going to be a craft party, we needed aprons (basic,quick calico and cotton ones). Large for the 6 yr olds and small ones for the 3 yr olds...



The party boy had a Tshirt and headband to wear and we made some stuffed toys to use as puppets for the puppet show.



Craft tables were set up separately for the older and younger ones. Activities were placed in plastic sheets before hand to make it easier. We coloured and made butterfly collages and did some scratch art too, then we hung the art to dry on a string line.


We played musical chairs to music I purchased from itunes (caterpillar congo, If I were a butterfly). We also did the conga line.

Butterflies often frequent our backyard and we were lucky they didn't forget us on this special day. we got the net out and had fun trying to catch some. The caterpillars on the grapevine were very good at hiding, so we didn't find any, however we did learn about a threatened species once local to our area...


The food was very simple...the birthday boys favourites (many of which are green and in the book!).



The caterpillar sandwiches were very popular (not my idea, but I can't find where I saw this idea!).




The party cake was the choice of the birthday boy, a number three...


After party cake, we had the puppet show and it was such a success. Our 6 year old and Dad were the stars with the help of our stuffed puppets and cut outs on sticks and a sheet hung on curtain wire in the doorway. 


I read The very Hungry Caterpillar book by Eric Carle and all the children loved it. 
After the show they wanted to do it themselves over and over. I Love puppets!



The goodie bags were hung on the birthday tree and contained a bag of lollies, story books, flashcard (Letter of their name) activities from the Eric Carle site a words search with all the childrens' names and pencils, plus their crafts and apron to take home.



I loved this book as a child and it was such a fun party theme for our children.

A great day!


Comments

  1. Wow! What an incredible party! I am constantly amazed with how many great ideas you have under the one theme. I bet the birthday boy absolutely loved it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable ! Could you please share how you assembled the caterpillar sandwich trail ? How did the bits of bread stick together and which foods did you use for the face ? and how did they stick on ?

    Thanks !

    Selena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much.Yes the sandwich trail was a hit and they stuck together by themselves (as the bread was very fresh) I cut circles out of the cheese and ham sandwiches with a cookie cutter. The face is a tomato with sliced cheese cut into ovals and basil on top of that stuck on with a bit of mayo used like glue, the nose is basil also. There are toothpicks on the head with basil wrapped on the top and raisins for the feet. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using your idea for my granddaughters party in August and thinking I may add
      cucumber slices between the sandwiches (leaving on the outside) just for colour.

      Good Idea...thanks!

      Delete
  4. Hello, I love all your creative ideas; everything is so beautifully presented. How did you transfer the designs for the soft toys and the applique on the t-shirt?
    I have three boys so I love all your inspiring ideas suitable for boys - no pink fluffy things here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, I agree it is sometimes difficult to find suitable things for boys in the blog community. The applique was done by tshirt transfer paper on the computer onto white fabric then sewn on the tshirt. The softies were done using tshirt transfer paper as well. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! These ideas are absolutely amazing! I love the little designs and the mini sandwich dish that's going on! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing ideas and wonderful party! Sounds like everyone had a fantastic time. You are very creative. If it's ok with you, I may steal some of these ideas for my daughter's birthday in a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also...do you mind sharing where you found the flashcards and books? Are they specific Eric Carle products?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I think I got the book from an excess bookshop on the Gold Coast. It was an activity type book with heavy duty paper and pictures you could cut out. The postcards were part of a letter set. Both are authentic products, but I haven't seen them since sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the best kids party idea I've ever seen! I absolutely love The hungry caterpillar and so does my daughter. Beautiful, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to use several of these ideas for my son's party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great ideas! I'm also throwing a Very Hungry Caterpillar themed party - question... in the photo of the invite I see the polka dot pattern underneath it... is that a table cloth? I'm looking for something similar as table toppers - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks. Actually on the flipside of the invite the paper is polka dotted!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! You are so clever. Thanks for taking the time to share how you did it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. where did you get your goodie bag tree? if made, was there a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut the tree with a jigsaw by hand, no pattern just random tree like cutting. The board is mdf.

      Delete
  16. Love your party ideas!! I have a free tutorial for making a Hungry Caterpillar costume here - http://www.alannageorge.com/2011/10/11/how-to-very-hungry-caterpillar-costume/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely costume! Thanks Alanna.

      Delete
  17. Wow! I am having this theme for my baby boys first birthday! How did you get the colouring sheets etc for your activity packs? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to the Eric Carle website you will find plenty of colouring sheets to use there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts